Do you know that drones and quadcopters probably would not have existed if there were no Li-Po batteries?
This is because no other batteries provide as much as energy while delivering a high amount of currents is so small of a package. In other words, it means that longer flight times without any interruption, better manoeuvrability and faster flying.
However, there are certain confusions about what terms mean, there are certain questions regarding how to charge the lithium batteries properly, and how to be safe when using batteries. We will be providing you guidance and will answer all of your questions:
Guide to recharging the Li-Po batteries:
Li-Po batteries can be recharged and for this, you need to buy a charger that is specifically made for Li-Po. The main reason behind this is that LiPo’s need a particular method to charge them.
- If you are a user of LiPo battery and if you are charging the battery without a charger designed for them, then you are required to consider these few aspects
- Do not charge your battery fully
- Shorten the life span of your battery
- If there are safety issues then damage the battery. This is because these batteries can cause fires if they are not handled properly
This guide will help you to understand how it should be charged mainly when you are not having its charger.
In the last few years, a Li-Po battery (short for lithium polymer) which is a kind of rechargeable batteries has taken the electric RC world by storm. This has mainly become evident for planes, helicopters, and multirotor. These batteries have the advantages of small & light, high capacity and high discharge rate.
What are Li-Po batteries?
A lithium polymer battery, or more correctly it has been popularly known as lithium-ion polymer battery. This is a rechargeable battery of lithium-ion technology powered by a polymer electrolyte in place of a liquid electrolyte. Nowadays due to the deteriorating climatic conditions rechargeable and recycled things have taken the forefront becoming popular among the users. And for this reason, 4S Li-Po batteries have become extremely popular in RC.
To understand its growing popular let us take some look into its advantages and disadvantages.
- It is lighter in weight in comparison to other batteries
- The striking feature of these batteries is that it comes in various size and shape making it an indispensable item
- It has lighter capacities which allow them to hold more power within it
- The discharge rates are lighter which means that they pack more punch
- It has a very short life-span, they have an average lifespan of 150-250 cycles
- The sensitive chemistry can lead to fire hazard if the battery gets punctured
- Li-Po batteries require special care and attention for charging, storing and discharging
These batteries are commonly used in drones which are significantly used in various purposes nowadays. However, RC Li-Po batteries come at various prices and it is quite evident why these batteries are high in terms of price. We hope that this article has been of great help to you in terms of giving an idea of why these batteries are becoming increasingly popular in the RC world.